To foster, encourage and lead a mass drive for presenting Kurukshetra as model district under the Swachh Bharat Mission.
Operational Details – The cleanliness campaign would be started by first rectifying the actual situation on ground. Till now, there is not a one stop destination looking at which we can evaluate the status of a village and then eventually a whole block. By collating this information, we can evaluate and take forward the sanitation drive in the district of Kurukshetra.
The cleanliness campaign would be started by first rectifying the
actual situation on ground. Till now, there is not a one stop destination looking at which
we can evaluate the status of a village and then eventually a whole block. By collating
this information, we can evaluate and take forward the sanitation drive in the district of
What will be done
A village will be evaluated on the basis of
- a) Number of households that do not have toilets (Infrastructure issues/ Non-functional)
- b) Status of Community toilet (Infrastructure issues / Non-functional)
- c) Status of toilets in Schools, Anganwadi Center’s and PHC’s/Sub-Center’s (Infrastructure issues / Non-functional)
- d) Access to clean drinking water
- e) Waste Management disposal mechanism (Checking the functionality of Kachre se Kamai or any other mechanism being used in the village)
- f) Disposal of waste water
A questionnaire would be designed capturing all the above given information, based on which the overall cleanliness and sanitation of the village will be ranked. This would comprise of all the villages inthe 6 Blocks of Kurukshetra (Pehowa, Thanesar, Ismailabad, Shahabad, Babain and Ladwa) would be categorized into three zones – Red (severely critical), Yellow (moderately performing) and Green zones (Best performing villages). This mapping would be done on an online portal. This online portal would be further used to monitor the activities and follow up’s done by the district level officials as part of the ODF drive where they have adopted 1 village each.
Once the village has been mapped in one of the three areas (Red, Yellow or Green), immediate action can be taken by the Village Panchayat or the district administration. For example, if a village has community toilets,
How it will be done
- a) The responsibility of gathering this information would be given to the Sarpanch and the corresponding district official who has the responsibility to monitor and follow up the ODF Campaign.
- b) Additional help will be taken from the students from Social Work Departmentin Kurukshetra university. They would be helping in the awareness programs and sensitizing people on Sanitation.
- c) The information would be validated by a team from the ADC Office.
- d) Community Participation – Taking cue from the campaigns and drives organized earlier, it was felt that community participation and ownership is extremely important.
So, students from the schools, Anganwadi and ANM Workers and Unemployed youth would be involved for this activity. Local plays and short movies/documentaries related to Sanitation will be organized in the villages.
Required Inputs and Follow up’s
Once the villages in different Blocks lying in the critical areas(Red Zones) are identified, a holistic approach can be taken after analyzing what level of intervention is required from the Village Panchayat and District Administration. The online portal would be updated each month with the above listed information and with pictures which eventually allows us to see the growth and the effect on ground.
This initiative will cater all three main domains of a campaign
- a) Getting a reality check and actual position on ground
- b) Awareness and Community Participation
- c) Strict monitoring and Follow – Up Mechanism
The data being fed in the online portal will be of prime importance as it will automatically reveal the position of toilets altogether in all the major public check points in a village – schools, anganwadi center’s, health care center’s, gram sachivalya etc. Once this is identified, immediate actions can be taken up to fix the problem. This monitoring tool will be of great help in the monthly review meetings to check the on-going status of Swachh Bharat Mission in Kurukshetra district. Further, since updating the online portal on monthly basis will be mandatory, it will become an on – going process and hence will yield maximum results. Henceforth, Transparency and Accountability on matters related to Sanitation would be imbibed in the system.